Your flashlight is one of the most basic, important staples of your gear when it comes to hunting, camping or for keeping your bug out bag stocked. To be honest, a good flashlight is essential just for having around the house. Finding the best hunting flashlight for your gear is the most important things you can do for yourself, but it can also be one of the hardest things to settle on when you are in the market for one.
A great flashlight can serve many purposes, its not just for seeing in the dark. Whether youre looking for a flashlight for bow hunting, for rabbit hunting, or even for an AR 15, you need to check the specs to make sure its a good fit.
Before making your purchase, you should be aware of what features are the most important to you. Does it need to mount to your equipment? Should it have focused features, or the ability to strobe? What kind of batteries would you prepare it to use? Are you working on a limited budget and looking to get the most bang for your buck? You should think about what exactly it is you are looking for before you start shopping around.
Factors You Need To Consider Before You Purchase
As I mentioned earlier on, and as youve seen through the reviews of the different types of hunting flashlights Ive brought you, you need to have an idea of exactly what you are looking for when it comes to purchasing a flashlight for hunting. Take the time to stop and think about what features are important to your usage.
- Strobe light settings, which are included on some of these models, are a self-defense function used to disorient your opponent. It is a helpful feature that could be a life saver in a SHTF situation.
- Fixed beam light sources tend to have stronger lumens since they are formatted only to provide that type of light. The higher the lumens, the brighter the light. How bright you want your light to be entirely up to you, but if you prefer brightness over multiple functions, then the fixed beam light source flashlights are probably what you are looking for.
- Not all hunting flashlights come with mounts, so be sure that if you want your light to go with a mount that it is included and that it has the right mount for the type of weapon you are using. On the other hand, you can always get a mount separately, just make sure that you arent paying for a torch and mount only to find out that the mount is not included.
- Remember to check the battery source. If you prefer a non-lithium battery, you do have options. Just know that the lithium options do give you a more dependable, longer lasting light.
- If you are aware that you are going to be getting your equipment wet, be sure that you are buying a product that has some waterproofing to make your light last.
- If you like multi-use tools, be sure to keep an eye out for flashlights that serve multiple purposes like defense, or just general use. Some of us prefer to be able to carry less and use it more, and there is nothing wrong with that.
- If you want your light to have a remote switch, make sure that it either comes with one or is compatible with one before you buy. Nothing is worse than purchasing something you dont want.
Vizeri LED Tactical Flashlight with Focusing Lens
One of the best you can get for the money out there! It has so many features packed into this compact torch, but will still run you less than $100!
The pros majorly outweigh the cons for this flashlight. It works best as an overall flashlight, but you can also buy additional accessories to attach it to your hunting rifle.
There are so many advantages of this unit; its difficult to list them all. In fact, you dont have to take our word for it. If you decide to peruse the customer reviews on a site like Amazon, youll be hard pressed to find anyone with any issue with this particular flashlight.
Tons of accessories come with this budget friendly hunting light, which makes it even more of a great deal. It comes with a lamp diffuser, holster with D-ring, wrist lanyard, an extra button and extra o-rings.
- You can be jubilant knowing you are getting a CREE T6 XML LED light, which will give you a dangerously bright intense beam that you can depend on.
- This LED tactical flashlight has a focusing feature that has precisely printed markings similar to that of a torque wrench. Once youve found your favorite setting, the markings help you to return the focus to the same spot time after time.
- It also includes five different modes: high, medium, low, strobe, and SOS. This unit also remembers the last mode you used, so you dont have to click through the different modes to use your favorite setting.
- You have two different power options, you can either use AAA batteries or CR123 alkaline batteries, which are a lower price point. On the other hand, you also have the option of using low-cost rechargeable 18650 lithium-ion batteries. Just a note, if you are planning to use your flashlight on the high setting, it is recommended that you use the 18650 lithium-ion batteries for a longer life.
- The design of this unit is well thought out. Instead of dealing with a pressure fit like in cheaper flashlights, this torch has all components threaded into the metal tube. Because of the threaded metal tube and the O-rings, this is one of the best flashlights for the money that is submersible to a depth of 3 feet.
- Youll also be happy with the military grade aluminum and hardened anodized finish.
- By using gold plated springs, you dont have to worry about corrosion on the connections which is very helpful if you are prone to forgetting to take your batteries out of your flashlight in between uses.
- The focusing ability of this flashlight will focus down to a square diode on the wall, and doesnt change focus by merely bumping it.
- The included diffuser lets you scatter the powerful beam around a room or tent like a lantern.
- Not only does Vizeri LED offers a Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty, but they also offer a full refund if you dont love it. While we have not had to use the warranty, the company has an outstanding reputation for their customer service and making sure you are very happy with their product.
- Vizeri LED will send you an email with a PDF file that gives you full instructions explaining how to operate this unit so that you can get the most effective use possible out of your purchase.
As we mentioned before, there arent that many cons to this flashlight, but we tried our hardest to find a few things that could be considered as bad points to this torch.
- While this light is very powerful, you can find brighter and farther reaching lights, but youll be paying 3-4 times as much.
- It doesnt come with any mount for a weapon. There are options available to purchase a mount as an accessory at an additional cost.
- This unit does not come with a remote pressure switch, so if that was something you cant live without, you might want to look at other options.
Streamlight 88040 ProTac HL High Lumen Professional Tactical Light
The Streamlight 88040 ProTac is a compact flashlight that is ideal for providing bright, high-quality white light while being small enough to hook up to the provided pocket holster or clip. It is designed to take the punishment of being dropped without the worry of it breaking apart as it hits the ground. This one doesnt come with a lot of accessories, but you will get the unit, a removable pocket clip, holster and a set of instructions for use.
This is a tactical light through and through. It doesnt take up much space, gives a high light output, is made to be incredibly durable and has three modes which include the strobe feature.
- While this hunting light does not come with rechargeable batteries, you can use them. It requires two CR123 batteries that you can purchase separately, so you dont have to keep buying disposables.
- The Streamlight 88040 has three available modes: high beam, strobe, and low beam. Having a strobe mode is very helpful when trying to throw off attackers or confuse animals when hunting.
- Not only is this model very compact at 5.2 inches long, but it is also very light coming in at 5.6 ounces.
- This hunting flashlight boasts an LED solid state power regulation system that allows for the maximum output of light throughout the life of your batteries.
- Even though it doesnt come with a mount for your weapon, you could use a 1 mount depending on the type of weapon you are mounting it to and it will work well.
- The Streamlight 88040 is waterproof,but you shouldnt use it as an underwater option, but you dont have to worry about it being ruined if you were to drop it in the water while on your next hunting trip.
The cons here are based on preference, but there are a few things to point out about the Streamlight 88040 to make sure that this model meets your needs. Remember to keep in mind what your purpose for using your flashlight are before deciding if the features are right for you.
- If you are a fan of using lanyards with these smaller flashlights, youll have to improvise and use the included pocket clip. Not only does this model not come with a lanyard, but it is also without the hole or loop to attach one.
- Ok, this isnt so much a con as it is a personal preference. The button on this model is located at the base of the torch. If you prefer a button on the side, this is not the option for you.
- While the Streamlight 88040 touts to have an anti-roll face cap, its not defined enough to keep it from rolling on an inclined surface. That being said, if it were being used as a bludgeoning weapon in self-defense, it would leave an indentation on your attacker.
- There is no remote switch included with this model, and it doesnt have the attachment end piece to add one to it. This is only a con if you want to use the Streamlight 88040 with a remote switch. Otherwise, youll probably never notice this function missing.
- While some people prefer to have a focusing beam on their flashlight, this model does not have the ability to do that. If you dont mind a non-focusable beam, then you are in luck!
Supernova Guardian 1300 Ultra Bright Rechargeable Tactical LED Flashlight
The Supernova Guardian 1300 is the best flashlights you can find for your hunting rifle! It comes with a remote pressure switch, two rechargeable Lithium 18650 batteries, a plastic spacer for the lithium batteries to hold them in place properly. A charger, a battery conversion case if you want to use 3 AAA batteries. Tactical tail switch, removable belt clip, and a high-quality gift box with a magnetic closing lid. Thats a great grouping for the money.
The Supernova Guardian 1300 comes with everything you need to get started, and there is always the option to upgrade it later down the road if you want different types of mounting accessories.
- The bulb included with this flashlight is an ultra-bright CREE XM-L U2 LED, which delivers exceptional brightness and a large area of focus. It can blind a human or deer, so be careful not to point it in someones eyes unless you are really in an emergency situation. Remember, to use the highest setting; you really should be using the Lithium 18650 batteries. While using the AAA batteries does make it functional, you will lose power quickly, and you wont get full access to the extra-bright lumens this flashlight is capable of.
- Since it is made out of an aircraft grade brushed aluminum alloy, it reduces the weight of the flashlight will keep all the strength.
- There are five different modes available on this model: high, medium, low, strobe, and SOS. When you turn it on it will automatically be using the high mode, and you half depress the button to switch between modes.
- Because of the remote pressure switch, you can mount this flashlight to your weapon which makes turning it on and off silent and easy so you wont have to worry about fumbling around or making extra noise.
- Besides using the strobe light for self-defense, this unit has a stainless steel ridged strike bezel which will give you maximum striking power.
- This is also handy if you keep a spare on you if you ever need to break a car window out in an emergency situation.
- The Guardian 1300 comes with a Manufacturer 5-year warranty, and the company has a good reputation when it comes to honoring that warranty.
In trying to find things to list as cons for this compact, powerful hunting flashlight, we had to focus more on things that would be a personal preference than details that dont work in regards to the Supernova Guardian 1300. Be aware that with every product on the market, there is always a chance of getting a defective product. In this case, Supernova has great customer assistance and gets back with you quickly if you have any problems with their product.
- When you power on your unit, it will not default to the last used setting. This means you will need to depress the button fully for full light, or depress lightly to cycle through the other functions.
- You cannot change the size of the beam this torch provides; it is a fixed beam tactical flashlight.
- While this model is shock resistant, it is not water resistant. It does not have the o-rings that keep the unit watertight.
- The on/off button on this flashlight is at the end, not the side as most people are used to. Some will find this a hindrance while others will like the placement. Its not so much a con as it is a personal preference.
Orion H40-W LED Tactical Flashlight with Pressure Switch and Rifle Mount
The Orion H40-W is the best flashlight for hunting at night. With its ability to be mounted to your weapon right out of the box, the remote switch, and the 75 minutes of straight runtime, we think this tactical flashlight is a real contender and it the price is great! When you open the box you will see the Orion 40-W with the regular tail cap switch attached to it, two CR123A batteries, the pressure switch, a 1 Picatinny / Weaver rail mount, Velcro, and the instruction manual.
I am very impressed by this flashlight use. With the remote switch, you can get small bursts of light as you need it, so you dont have to worry about night blindness. The fact that it comes with a mount is great! You dont have to worry about looking around for the right mount, especially since Orion does have different model options depending on what type of mount you need to use.
- With this one, you can swap out the end piece for either a push button on the end cap or the remote switch.
- This unit does come with Velcro pieces so that you can mount the pressure switch button to the foregrip of your weapon, making it easier to use.
- As we mentioned before, this model comes with a mount that is easily installed on rifles. To be specific, it comes with a Picatinny / Weaver Rail Mount, so it requires four rail slots to attach to your weapon. You can purchase a different mount or different model if you are looking for a smaller mount.
- You will get a beam distance of about 175 yards, and the light will run, if left on constantly, for about 75 minutes before youll need to switch out the batteries.
- The Orion H40-W is waterproofed to the IPX-7 standard.
- You wont have to worry about a lot of additional weight on your weapon since this light is made with a high-strength aerospace aluminum body that has been hard-anodized for the longevity of use.
- There is a one-year worry free warranty that covers free replacement on any defective or broken parts. The Orion team also has a good reputation of great customer services and fast response time if you ever have any issues with your light.
Again, most of the cons for this flashlight are purely based on personal preference. Youll have to choose which matter to you, and which are non-issues.
- This is a fixed beam tactical flashlight, so you wont be able to adjust the radius of the area you want to light up. This might not be an issue to some, but at the same time, it could be.
- The pressure switch only works as long as you are holding it down. Once you let go, it turns itself off. When used as a flashlight the button switch gives you the ability to leave the light on like you would expect from a flashlight.
- This model does not have the option to change modes of light, so you wont be able to switch from high, medium, low, strobe, or SOS modes.
- Youll have a constant high mode whether you are using it with the button switch or the pressure switch.
- This is more of personal preference, but the Orion H40-W is a shiny black, not matter which does matter to some.
SureFire X300 LED WeaponLights with TIR
This is another fixed beam light source. You will not get the option to change the light brightness settings, the ability to strobe, or the ability to SOS unless you know how to do that manually.
The Surefire Ultra is priced a little higher than the other options above, but youll find there is a reason for that. Not only does this torch come with the ability to attach to the Picatinny rails on long guns, but it also attaches to the Picatinny and Universal rails found on many handguns. It will also fit many of the popular rail-less handguns by using Sure Fires MR adapter mounts.
Besides the SureFire name, the SureFire Ultra has a versatility that is very handy considering you can use it on both handguns and long guns, which is not as common in your less expensive options.
- The SureFire Ultra features a precision TIR lens that creates a smooth, tight beam while at the same time giving off enough surrounding light to help with peripheral illumination.
- This unit will accept optional pressure-activated switches, but does not come with a switch at the date of purchase. Youll have to buy that separately.
- While this model comes with standard disposable CR123A batteries, you can buy the rechargeable version and charger separately from Surefire.
- Unlike the hunting flashlights above, this model does have the ability to switch between constant light or to use it as a momentary switch when using the pressure switch.
Other than the fixed beam light source, which is more of preference, Id be hard pressed to find any cons with this flashlight.
I`ve given you different options for different usage types. In the end, only you can choose exactly what you want. Make sure that you are a smart consumer and shop around, read reviews, and pay attention to the product details so that you are getting exactly what you want. While there are some good flashlights out there, you want to make sure that you get the best hunting flashlight you can. Like I said, a flashlight is one of the most important staples in your gear, and you dont want to be in a situation where you feel you want in that department.
Hunting flashlights are not what they used to be. With so many options in the market trying to find the best flashlight for predator hunting, for deer hunting, or even for coon hunting has become a complex endeavor. Hopefully, after reading this guide and reviews, you should have a clear understanding of how to pick the right one for you.